Thursday 25 July 2013

Book 28 : Sugar Cube - Kir Jensen

As a parent I am a liar, a massive 'in your face' liar!  What am I talking about I hear you ask? (obviously I don't really but you get the idea) Well firstly I lie to my children.... all the time!!  If anyone ever asks me I will deny all knowledge of this blog update, but my children are stubborn, little control freaks with memory's like a steal trap (I have no idea where they get it from!).  I should clarify that when I say children I really mean child, my daughter Charli apart from the odd smart comment is everything that is good and wonderful in the world, my son Sam on the other hand... How do I put this delicately? Well, he is an angel faced turd burger!  So when he asks me questions I know are going to get a bad reaction, I lie through my teeth.  Am I going to day care today?  No, sweet heart we are going for a drive (to daycare).  Mum is this mushrooms?  No, darling heart its cheese (flavoured mushrooms).  Where's my lollipop (that's three days old and covered with hair)?  I don't know honey buns, maybe the lolly pop fairy took it away (to the bin!).  Bad parenting? Possibly, but when its a choice between full blown tantrum and blissful silence, I'll take lying every time!!  I figure by the time my children realise that Santa isn't making weekly phone calls, Santa will no longer be visiting. 

  But I've actually realised in the last few days that I've also started lying to people around me about my parenting.  I'm a terrible parent!  I forget the tooth fairy is visiting (she had a really busy night), we have frozen pizzas for tea more often than we should and once I ACCIDENTALLY jammed Charli's fingers in a drawer (I obviously didn't realise she had her fingers in there!).  But I also like to pretend that I'm an ok mother and that my children are turning out ok!  I'm fairly sure I'm on the right track with Charli, I take no credit for this, despite my influence she is a kind, outgoing little girl.  Sam on the other hand has me pulling out my hair by the fist full, whilst pretending everything is perfectly fine.  So when people ask me questions about how he is going, I'm generally making it up as I go along (much like my parenting style!). 

  Toilet training is non existent, he will wear jocks at daycare but also hold on all day to avoid having to use the toilet!.  The way Sam is going, he will be wearing pull ups at his 21st.  Please don't give me advise on how to encourage him to use the toilet, because it wont work.  Chocolate, new cars, lolly pops.. nothing works!  As I said he would rather hold his bladder for 8 hours, than wee in the shower (I gave him the option, don't judge me!).  Then he has the worlds biggest tantrum at a local shopping centre, which ended spectacularly in me carrying him from one side to the other over my shoulder while he screamed that he loved me.... which was why he thinks he should've got an ice cream (no way in hell!!).  I was one of those parents! The parent that people with kids feel sorry for and childless people judge like buggery!  The joys of parenting!  So when one of my good mates asked me I shook my head and told her he was really tired.... (and a turd burger!!) Not really sure if I've stayed on topic, but the bald spot on my scalp is itchy so hopefully you'll forgive me :)


Recipe - Twisted Toll House

220g plain flour
1/2 cup Hazelnut flour  (hazelnut meal, processed until fine)
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp sea salt
225g Unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 large eggs, at room temp
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
10 ozs finely chopped dark chocolate
Fleur de sel for sprinkling

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, hazelnut flour, baking soda and salt.  In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter, granulated sugar and the brown sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Beat in the vanilla.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl.  With the mixer on low, add the dry ingredients and beat until just combined.  Stir in the chopped chocolate, using more chocolate if you're a chocolate fanatic.  Chill the dough for at least several hours, or, if you can resist, overnight to give the flavors a chance to mature.

   Preheat the oven to 175c, line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.  Drop the dough by 2 tablespoon portions about 2 inches apart (they spread)  onto the baking sheets.

  Bake until golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes, rotating the sheets from front to back and between upper and lower racks after about 10 minutes.  Sprinkle the cookies with fleur de sel while still warm and let cool on the baking sheets for a minute before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.  The cookies will keep in an air-tight container for several days.
_________________________________________________

  I really want to like this book, I really do!  Its everything that I want to be as a home cook, a home cook with a food van (to be specific a desert food van!).  But to be honest this book is a pain in the arse!  Its an American book written for Americans, so everything in it is set up for American super markets!  Cups or sticks of butter, all-purpose flour, blackstrap molasses, graham crackers.. Have you ever tried to get a cup of butter?  I can tell you now its a pain in the arse!  If it wasn't for the wonders of the Internet I would of cracked shits long ago and possibly used this book as a Frisbee.    Don't get me wrong, the book itself is fine, but I begrudge spending 30 minutes converting everything into measurements I can actually use.  A writer at one of my favourite food blogs is fond of saying 'friends don't let friends bake by volume"... and it is so true.  I don't care if its in oz or grams but measuring something on the scales is so much easier than washing my 1 cup measuring cup between ingredients.  I know I'm having a rant but as I said above, its a pain in the arse.  You better believe when I write a cook book (won't even happen) there will be no butter conversion websites needed!  On the other hand the book has nice pages and some really interesting recipes, although there isn't a picture for every recipe, the author obviously doesn't read my blog!!


  The biscuits themselves are quite nice!  Apparently Toll House biscuits are fairly well known as chocolate chip cookies in America, I've never heard of them before.  They have a really interesting flavour that's rich and complex, with the chocolate and salt topping, without being overly sweet (surprising considering how much sugar they have in them!).  They are also fairly light and crispy!  Just be careful of how much salt you sprinkle on them, I tend to get over excited with sprinkling and they were a bit salty.   Plus you have to leave them in the fridge for a few hours before you cook them (appeals to me for some reason?).  All in all its a nice recipe, the uncooked dough is awesome!!!  So if you're after something a bit different give them a go :)

Thanks
Kate
xx

The beautiful Turd Burger :)






No comments:

Post a Comment